The Wyatt Family Outside The Forge Rectory Lane Ashtead c.1909
From the 1870s Gorge Wyatt owned the forge in Rectory Lane, the business being passed on to his sons James, John and George who employed several wheelwrights, blacksmiths and apprentices. James and John Wyatt lived in the adjacent Forge and Wisteria Cottages until the 1930s. Members of the family can be seen standing in Rectory Lane in this photograph. The wall on the left is the boundary of the stables of The Old Rectory. The forge was in use until the 1950s and the houses of Blacksmith's Close stand on the site today.