Children Leaving St Giles School c.1880
In 1852 the original part of the school was built on land given by Mrs Mary Howard and erected at her expense. The school was then conveyed to the Rector of the parish and his successors for ever. Prior to this in Ashtead there had only been charity schools. One in Park Cottage in Park Lane was paid for by a bricklayer David White, who left money for educational purposes, and donations from the Howard family. In 1818 this school was attended by some seventy children under the care of James Penny and Elizabeth Huck.